This manual links to the already established Safety Management System (SMS) covering the company and the ship, which includes proper plans for shipboard operations. The SMS requires crew and officers to be familiar with applicable onboard instructions and procedures, including ballast water management.
An updated version of the manual will be issued regularly in accordance with IMO revisions.
- Provides a practical, guided approach that gives ships relevant knowledge to manage ballast water management systems
- Prepares the crew for inspections by port state control and charterers
- Is a reference guide for seafarers on how to implement and comply with the International Convention for the Control and Management of Ships’ Ballast Water and Sediments (BWM Convention)
- Includes comprehensive guidance issued by the IMO and designed for onboard use, for those who deal with operational ballast water challenges daily
- Provides easily accessible information to seafarers dealing with ballast water management challenges including regulatory implementation.